Tailgating is the quintessential fall activity! Whether you are grilling in your backyard or the stadium parking lot, tailgating brings a big crowd with big appetites. You don’t have to spend all day cooking for your hungry guest – let Hy-Vee be your resource for delicious “semi-homemade” tailgate treats!
- Hy-Vee Hummus and FSTG multigrain chips. Make a wholesome snack!
- Hy-Vee Salsa and HealthMarket Blue chips
- Hy-Vee Sweet potato chips
- Xochil corn chips with Desert Pepper Bean Dips Or Amy’s Black Bean Salsa with Corn
- Hy-Vee plain yogurt for dips, add to ready-made dips
- Black beans (no salt added) for salsa, tacos, burritos and eggs.
- Hy-Vee Meat Counter
- Pre-made BEEF kabobs (think school colors!)
- Buy pre-cooked smoked pulled chicken and spend time preparing your secret sauce!
- Hormel pre-seasoned pork loins are fantastic – ready on the grill in just 45 minutes – they are moist and tender! Try serving it sliced or on a ciabatta roll.
- Whether you grill Alfresco or Aidell’s chicken sausages, you can spend your time with the many delicious toppings (sauerkraut, grilled onions and peppers, hot mustard sauce). Yum!
- Salad Bar
- Make your favorite dip with fat-free/light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, but let the Hy-Vee Salad bar cut up all those veggies and fruits for you!
- Give your veggie tray some pizzazz by using vegetables for “dishes” – cabbages, tomatoes and peppers cored all make fantastic bowls for dips.
- Fruit and vegetable kabobs can be served raw or grilled with your own special sauce or dip. Again, think School Colors (Nebraska – strawberries, raspberries, apples, pears, alternated with small pieces of pound cake)
- Avocados as a dip or a sandwich spread.
Team Spirit Steak Kabobs
All You Need
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1–½ tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 pound flat iron or sirloin steak, cut into small cubes
1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (or use your favorite team colors!)
All You Do
1. Combine onions, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and black pepper in a small bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add marinade and steak to resealable plastic bag and marinate for 15 minutes to 2 hours in the fridge.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard remaining marinade. Thread strips of steak onto skewers alternating with bell pepper pieces. Transport assembled kabobs in clean resealable plastic bag in cooler to the game.
- Grill for 8-11 minutes, turning once. Use meat thermometer to check for doneness 145 degrees medium rare and 160 degrees for medium well.
Nutrition per 3-oz serving: 150 calories; 9 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 45 mg cholesterol; 276 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g fiber; 13 g protein
Mushroom Bites Serves 8
All you need:
4 oz. mushrooms (Produce)
1 (15 oz) pkg Hy-Vee spinach dip
2 oz. grated cheese
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (Produce)
1 medium orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped (Produce)
1 tbsp minced fresh basil (Produce)
All you do:
- Remove stems from each mushroom. Using a spoon, scrape out and discard the black gills in each mushroom cap.
- Fill each mushroom with about 1 teaspoon spinach dip. Warm in oven for 12 min. 350 degrees.
- Top with cheese, chopped tomatoes and bell peppers.
Win Big with Beef at your Tailgate Party
Are you tailgating this Saturday at the Stadium?
Watch out for our #Hy-Vee Dietitians Becky Guittar and Carrie Nielsen. Are you cooking beef for your tailgate party? You could win a coupon for one of our BEEF Hy-Vee Mealtime Kits! Our dietitians will be browsing the Husker Nation Tailgate Party from 5 pm – 7 pm this Saturday! All you have to do is cook BEEF with your family at your tailgate party and Win!