See the page above for more details and shopping list.
As the weather changes, we all think about wonderful comfort foods like soup, chili and casseroles.
Here is a great recipe that uses Hy-Vee no-salt-added beans, tomatoes, and broth. The original recipe calls for entire package of taco seasoning, which is not necessary. Go ahead and just use 1/2 of the packet that will reduce the sodium way down from the nutrition information below. I like to add lime juice and cilantro for some authentic-tasting flavors. The chicken can be from a rotissiere chicken or roasted chicken for a cook once, eat twice meal.
Chicken Taco Soup
All You Need:
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 (15 oz) can Hy-Vee no-salt-added black beans
• 1 (16 oz) can Hy-Vee no-salt-added pinto beans
• 1 (15 oz) can Hy-Vee corn, drained
• 1 (8 oz) can Hy-Vee tomato sauce
• 12 oz can low-sodium chicken broth or beer (alcohol will cook out of beer)
• 2 (10 oz each) cans Rotel or Hy-Vee Mild diced tomatoes with green chilies
• 1 (1 oz) pkg Hy-Vee taco seasoning*
• 1 tsp cumin,ground
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
• 2% milk cheddar cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, crushed baked tortilla chips (optional)
All You do:
• Mix onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer/chicken broth, tomatoes, taco seasoning, cumin, garlic, and chicken in a pot. Bring to a boil; then turn down to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
• Serve with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips, if desired
• Tip: this recipe freezes very well! Divide chicken taco soup into individual freezer-safe containers and take with you to work. Simply defrost and reheat in the microwave.
• Calories: 210
• Fat: 2 g
• Saturated Fat: 0 g
• Trans Fat: 0 g
• Cholesterol: 25 mg
• Sodium: 910 mg*
• Carbohydrates: 30 g
• Dietary Fiber: 8 g
• Sugar: 8 g
• Protein: 17 g
• 15% Vitamin A
• 15% Vitamin C
• 8% Calcium
• 15% Iron
*Note: Only ½ package of taco seasoning was used, which decreased the amount of sodium in each serving.
For a gluten-free version, use Gluten-free McCormick’s chili seasoning packet instead. Source: Hy-Vee recipes